Monday, June 30, 2008

SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND ME....

What is it with these seeds? I have never eaten them before, don’t know where I’ve been. There was a young man when I worked at Teledyne, and he ate sunflower seeds all night long, really! I always said “no thank you” when he tried hard to convince me to dig in. But they are a healthy choice and they come with pretty good credentials. I enjoy them in salads especially, they are really good raw and unsalted.

They contain complete proteins with only 20 percent fat, which is mostly unsaturated. They do not need further preparation because they are a complete protein. Groovy (old school). The seeds are a good source of zinc, calcium, phosphorus, and iron, as well as vitamins A, D, E, and several of the B-complex. Whole seeds have a good shelf life, but once hulled they should be refrigerated.

This thought just came to me…When I was very young, my mama had big yellow sunflowers in the front yard with the rooster cones, roses , and all the other flowers I can’t remember. My mama loved flowers and growing things, even after she was too old and unable to maintain a flower garden we always tried to make sure flowers were in the house, so she could see them. Strange, I hadn’t thought of those big yellow flowers in years..now the seeds are my friends, and they’re good for me. Imagine that!
Torrence

2 comments:

Erika J. said...

i've always liked sunflower seeds. of course, the ones i have are salted. haha! keep up the good work friend! miss you!

Stew's Blessing said...

Yeah I'm sure the salted seeds are better, try to stay clear of salt, a bit senitive....We may get to see you soon, John has mentioned it. Take care and keep the faith my friend. Love ya!