Friday, May 30, 2008

TODAY AND TOMORROW

Tomorrow is very important, but today is “where its at”, excuse my slang….Do everything today for tomorrow, this is success at its very best. In other words whatever you want for tomorrow in your life, plant the seeds today.

My father, the late Tyson Stewart was a master of this principle. He planted seeds and did they ever come up, and they were good ones. People still talk about him, eleven years after his “going away”.

I’m always amazed at how many friends my sister, EJ the Storyteller has, they seem endless and they are wonderful! She really did some good planting!

Growing up in the country of North Carolina, she was always writing back to us about her friends and this and that. It was fasinating to us because we had never left the country, while she lived in big old New York City, in Queens. She would come home and bring James Cleveland records and speeches by Dr. King and tell us about the spices oregano and thyme and basil and jazz music and on and on….This was more than 40 years ago, I was just a “youngun” then.

She was always talking about her friends, Joan and Alexis, and Pat and Oliver and Helen and Auntie and Uncle and so many more. She has friends in other countries and many of the states and now the rest of the family have come to know them too.

This very morning she had talked to Alexis (in Atlanta), about the housing market in Florida. After all these years still friends and talking because of seeds sown yesterday!

When my sister and mom died last year, I got to meet some of the “seeds” from her good planting. They were so gracious and caring for their friend’s lost. Now I consider them my friends and part of the friend family. Many times we forget that friends can be closer than blood kin. The Bible speaks of this and I’ve found it to be very true and sometimes sobering......

EJ moved to Raleigh after Faye and Mama passed, she felt she needed to move on and find her life again. She had taken care of them and needed to start over. All of us dealt with this part of “life” in our own unique ways. And guess what?, her friend Pat lives in Raleigh and (you know it), she’s helping her get settled and doing this and that… When I call her sometimes she’ll say “yeah me and Pat been out shopping or whatever". She and Pat worked at the telephone company in New York, when EJ was only 18 years old. Now mature ladies in their early 60’s…still friends and helping one another. Ej spends time with her friends children too, and is godmother to several of them.

How wonderful, yes tomorrow may be great, but much of it will depend on the seeds sown “today”.
Torrence

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

SIS TORRENCE
I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU AND MISS GETTING TO SEE YOU.

Stew's Blessing said...

Hey Yvonne,
God bless you, so glad to hear from you. How is the family? Tell Andy I'm trying to get a house BIG enough in Florida so you're can come and we'll go fishing... He'll know what I'm talking about. Me and John don't know nothing about no fishing but he'll have to teach us LOL. John said tell him there are alligators in Florida too so he'll have to learn to wrestle with them, he is so funny...
Are you still a Walmart girl? I hope you're feeling well, give the boys my love, tell Noah to be good! I miss love and miss you also.
Blessings
Torrence

Yvonne said...

SIS TORRENCE ANDY SAID TO TELL YOUR FAMILY WE ALL SAID HEY AND WE SURE WANT TO SEND ALL OUR LOVE . AND WE SURE DO MISS YOU. ALSO YES I STILL WORK AT WAL-MART ,CAN YOU BELIEVE IT I STILL CAN'T .WE ARE ALL WELL .I HOPE YOU GUYS ARE WELL ALSO .LOVE YOU