Monday, May 26, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID LORENZO TORRENCE

On May 26, 1988 around noon at Baptist hospital in Nashville Tennessee, a very small and strong David Lorenzo Torrence was born into this world. He is the son of very proud parents John William and Glenda Ann Torrence, with a long list of siblings; Little John, Kameki, Gilda,Theresa, Loria and of course his “side kick”, Samuel.

Life didn’t start easily for this now 20 year old. He was always in a hurry, it seemed, even from the start!! The doctors had said he would come late August, maybe early September, but David would have none of that.

They put me in the hospital two days before his birth, hoping to “stave”off his coming so prematurely, but it didn’t work.

Tuesday morning I was awakened with pains and my doctor, Michael Bishop was called.
From his car phone he began telling me the bad news," he’s too early, don’t get your hopes up. " We’ ll give you something to help him breathe on his own but it might not work. Not the type of news I wanted to hear..but the docs don’t know everything and a few hours later a 2 lbs,11 ½ ounce jewel was born. Yes, you read right!

The first time I saw him in the incubator, I almost fainted; he was so small and frail but full of life. As David was coming into the world I heard Dr. Bishop scream ( “it’s a boy and he’s breathing on his own!). That was big news as all the respiratory equipment was set up for this poor, maybe lifeless baby.

He did fine and was kicked out of the hospital the day before the 4th of July, shy of 5 pounds! "Baptist needed a bed for sick babies they told me laughing". We had to order diapers for him because no stores carried his size!

Today David stands the tallest of the Torrence clan at 5’9, and wears an eleven and a half size shoe!!!

He’s still strong and a fighter, never giving up when things don’t go well. He has a resilence like his father and can shake things off easily. I pray he keeps this, he will need it in this life!

David wanted only one thing for his birthday, a chess pie! Yes, he’s special…..I got him some ice cream too. LOL. What a joy to have children who don’t want everything, and are thankful , we are truly blessed parents and we give glory to God, and thanks and praise to them also.

He’s playing the piano now and enjoying his day, one of his favorites “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.”

Happy Birthday David Lorenzo Torrence, may God bless your life as you have blessed ours and much, much more......

Mama Torrence

5 comments:

Vic said...

Hey you wondering if I am still alive over here??? I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off...Happy happy birthday David...It seems like yesterday we were riding in my car with David, Sam and I...We stopped at Sonic for a burger and a shake...Good times...good memories...I hope it's good one for you...

Stew's Blessing said...

Hey, yes was wondering.....We are doing great here, God has truly answered our prayers and petitions. Sam and Dave always enjoyed going places with you, though they thought you drove a bit fast...Wonder where that came from? ha ha

Vic said...

I did drive a bit fast...I seem to always be in a hurry...

Tam said...

I didn't realize that David and Chandler have the same birthday! Happy Birthday to them both.

Stew's Blessing said...

Hey Tam, you may have already gotten this message, if so let me know. Having trouble sending messages thru the blog(DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BLOG hahaha, Tell Chandler we remembered his birthday too, I always do, I was going to mention him on my post but forgot. We are fine and looking very much for what and where God has for us. Sometime I get so excited of the possibilities, He has given me the desires of my heart and I'm so looking forward....not backward, gotta go walk. How's all at your house. Give Steve and the children my love
Love and prayers, Torrence