Monday, March 17, 2008

A TRIBUTE TO MY MOTHER! WRITTEN IN 2008..

The day has started out just as mama would have liked,"This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it," I can almost hear her say. This very day a year ago, my mama, Mother Lillie Mae McAllister Stewart fell asleep in the arms of her God.

I am so happy God chose my mom for me, I would not have wanted it any other way. She was a quiet woman, but very strong and resilent. Thats the way I remember her "strong", and quiet but loud enough to be heard and respected.

She was a God fearing woman, and taught all of us to reverence and serve God, she certainly did with vigor! I remember one time, mama went to our pastor and asked him if she could start an all girls choir. Mama got all the girls together and we had one of the best choirs in little Kinston, North Carolina..... My good friend Patricia played the piano and I lead most of the songs along with others and we praised God in our singing!

When growing up, mama lead our family with a singing group, we traveled the country singing. My brother Jimmy played the guitar and my sisters, Brenda, Kaye, my deceased sister Faye, my brother Hillery, and myself, could make some noise.LOL. Daddy sang too but mostly he talked and drove us around. Fond memories of mama....I remember mama in a special way.

I can see mama helping the other mothers of the church set the communion table decked out in her white suit. Mama loved white and we all knew when the time came, white would be her burial garment, and it was. People would come from miles around to hear mama sing in the choir, her saprano voice rang out.

Mama wasn't just a church lady. I guess in a way she was a community leader. Anytime there was something to be done around her she was there. Visiting the sick, helping people on the farms, oh and the children, they loved to come to mama's house.

One of mama's dreams was to own a store. I thought that was so funny in a way, mama being so shy and all. But God gave her her dream. In 1982 or thereabout, my mama and daddy opened, Stewart's Feed and Seed in Kinston. It was a big hit, it stands as the only Black store of its kind in that city. Everybody supported it, buying all the things daddy could find to sell..And mama was so happy, working the cash register and helping the customers with an eight grade education! But she was people smart and she had God to help and guide her.

On weekends I would come home from Durham and find her in the store, happy and content. Fond memories of mama

I'm crying as I'm writing this, but not tears of sadness anymore, only tears of joy. I miss talking to her, but wouldn't call her back if I could. Longing to see her again with that smile that is priceless and timeless....Today, mama died, gone but not forgotten! I remember mama in a special way...
Torrence

2 comments:

Tam said...

I can't believe it's already been a year. It's great how you speak of her. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I only hope and pray that when my time comes, my children will speak so highly of me.

love ya!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your fond memories - thank God for Mothers who love Him and raise their family right!