Thursday, September 23, 2010

SORRY, I NEVER KNEW YOU.....HAIR!!!


I guess in life it’s important to have some knowledge of things. Whether its your car, your boat, your house your spouse, your children..…you might want to have some idea of how it or they work. I really never used this principle as it related to my hair. A share cropper’s daughter, I grew up working, and working hard on farms we did not own but slaved on, for little or no money. My hair was not a priority really, and hair was worked on when everything else was done! I do remember trying to plait it up, or pull the kinks out after a wash. Mama had six girls, WHEW… what a job, what a great woman working on six heads,haha.

I do remember my sister Minnie pulling and me hollering, and my cousin Pearl burning me while she said “be still gal”. I wanted to tell her…oh well HA! That was a looooooog time ago. We used the hot comb, and pony tails, but mainly fixing hair was for Easter or special occasions.

I remember when Papa died in 1967, my cousin Lee Cass straitened and curled my hair so pretty, I was the talk of the funeral. Mama of course would have fixed it but she was busy dealing with the loss of her beloved father, so Lee Cass fixed our hair. That’s how family operate really, somebody stepping up to the plate!

As I grew up and as money would allow, we would buy royal crown hair grease, a staple in the Black community, I really don’t remember a lot of shampoos and conditioners, just "lye soap" and as we got rich "ivory"….it kept us from crying, gentle on the eyes.haha

As time passed we got off the farm and daddy bought some land and we owned our own house…that was big, very big. Daddy was so proud, and we began working in the factory, and more money began to emerge. Somewhere in this time frame I began going to the Beauty Shop. There was a lady in my home town who “did hair”, and me and mama would get our hair fixed (done). At last freedom had come, or that’s what I thought at the time. She would put that creamy stuff on and WHALA straitened hair. We were like rich folks, or were we? HA! But let me tell you, not many things feel better than sitting in that chair and getting up looking like “a new creature”! Yes, I crack myself up…

Then the jeri curl came and as my dear hubby says “it was made for me” I loved me some jeri curl, that Care Free was da bomb! I wore my hair relaxed for over 25 years, and frankly I loved and enjoyed it. But of late…

I have been thinking of all the chemicals I have eaten over the years, from the things put on my hair. It’s just time for a change, for my health and wealth! Healthy eating and healthy living and healthy thinking, and yeah healthy hair, my own natural hair.

Since being relaxed free nearly 4 months, I am for the first time in a long time paying attention to my hair. You see before, somebody else did it and I paid the tab, didn’t think much about it!
I’m now finding and discovering the true texture of my hair. I find that I enjoy washing it, and even those dreaded plaits.!!!

I make my own hairdressing which consists of olive oil,coconut oil, and my favorite aloe vera gel. But I need some Shea Butter. I use GNLD and NATURES SUNSHINE shampoos and conditioners. I use other products as funds are available, haha.

Loving my new transitioning hair, yes it been an emotional roller coaster, frustrating, sometimes just wanna do the BIG CHOP and forget it….but it’s been worth it, and looking forward to the next several months of the process. Sorry my dear hair, I never knew you…but I’m learning and I like you very much!
Blessings

No comments: